Hi all,

I'm one of the developers working on JIRA <http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira>. We've currently got a problem, where Tomcat seems to be running out of heap space, when running JIRAs functional tests. Here are all the relevant system properties:
*JDK: *java version "1.5.0_09"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_09-b01)
         Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_09-b01, mixed mode)
*Tomcat:* v.5.5.20
*JVM args:* -Xmx256m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

The functional tests simply run a number of HTTP requests to the web-server, simulating form submissions, button clicks, URL requests, etc (and obviously assert that the correct text is shown in the response).

About a week ago, this test started failing with OutOfMemory errors. I realize that increasing the maximum memory will probably get rid of this problem, but we've never had problems running the func tests with 256MB in the past, and we want to make sure we haven't introduced a memory leak. We examined the heapdump produced, and it looks like a large amount of the memory is retained by the org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspRuntimeContext (138 MB to be exact).

I've attached a screenshot of the JspRuntimeContext in YourKit. It seems that the 'jsps' SynchronizedMap is taking up all the space. The problem does NOT occur on Java 1.6. Any ideas, if it is normal behavior for the JspRuntimeContext to take up this much memory? I'm happy to make more information available if needed. The heap dump is about 65MB in size when zipped.

Cheers,
  Andreas