Hi David,

On 4/19/07, David Kerber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Check if you have servlet-api.jar in:
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\common\lib\

Running tomcat 5.5.15 on Windows server 2003.

Why would I get the subject error when I'm deep into my code, and not
near the top when I first use it?  I'm getting this in a class that is
buried several layers deep in a utility jar file.  The servlet that
calls this class is working fine, I get no compile errors, I am
importing the proper class, and my startup env vars are set to:

-Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5
-Dcatalina.base=c:\TomcatClients\EddSrv
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.5\common\endorsed

Have you set CATALINA_HOME, CATALINA_BASE, JAVA_HOME system wide
environment variables?

There's no need to modify catalina.bat, setting the above system
environment variables usually takes care of the NoClassDefinitionFound
error.

Also check if there's a system wide CLASSPATH , an incomplete or
incorrect system classpath also causes NoClassDefinitionFound error.

Here is the code snippet at issue, and the line where I'm getting the
error.  This is in a utility .jar file in web-inf/lib

    public static int updateDb( HttpServletRequest request ) {
        HttpSession    session;
 >> error line:
        session = request.getSession();

This is being called from a class in my .war file:

            rslt = TCfgHose.updateDb( request );

It works fine in dev mode in Eclipse, but fails when deployed.  What am
I missing?  Do I need to put out a jdk after all?  Or is there a problem
with passing a HttpServletRequest out of the webapp and into a utility .jar?

Dave

-Rashmi