I'm not entirely sure, but it seems like I saw something once implying some OS's (I'm thinking MS) disable the localhost when there's no active network interface. Don't think there's any reason why tomcat should be prevented from binding to localhost if it's available.

--David

EDMOND KEMOKAI wrote:

It doesn't need network connectivity (at least not as far as i know). Most
developers use it within a localhost setting. If you're on windows and
you're getting a prompt about a process wanting to open a port, that is just a network security issue, it doesn't mean tomcat requires internet access.

Why does Tomcat need network connectivity on startup. Can't I use it on a
machine that is not connected on the network (localhost)?