What are the strategies you might use to update an application running on
multiple Tomcat instances (clustered with Apache mod_jk) with a seamless
transition for somebody who's using the application at the time the
application is redeployed? I've always wondered how web applications that
cannot afford downtime do it.

In my naive understanding I'd simply shut off all servers, redeploy the
updated applications, then turn all the servers back on. In this case, it's
pretty straightforward to understand what would happen. However, users would
experience downtime (or at least a non-seamless transition). In environments
that have requirements not to make users relogin everytime a change is made,
how would applications that provide smaller, more frequent updates survive?

How would you go about doing this, specifically, in a clustered Tomcat
environment? What things should I keep in mind when figuring out how to best
do this?

Problems that I foresee include someone who's POSTing from his current page
to a just-updated version of a servlet on Tomcat...in this case, what the
user expects to happen might not be what is expected, due to the servlet
update. In the best case the user has to relogin due to an error. In the
worst case the operation goes through successfully but modifies the data in
some unexpected way.

Your insight on this matter is greatly appreciated.