it will return 0 after the timeout has expired if there was no events.
most likely its not a bug in the JDK but in your linux kernel/distro

so far I haven't seen the behavior you've explained.

Filip

Sebastiaan van Erk wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem that sometimes the NIO selector goes into a busy wait loop.

In line 1430 the code of NIOEndpoint.java,

                           keyCount = selector.select(selectorTimeout);

select keeps returning 0 without waiting.

I'm running on the latest trunk version of tomcat 6, on Ubuntu Linux Feisty, with java version:

java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

However, I've seen this same behavior with other JDK's (1.5).

To me it seems that it's a bug in the JVM implementation because select should only return 0 if it's woken up, which does not happen (since all other threads are suspended in my debugger). However, I was wondering if anybody else has seen this behavior and perhaps knows what's causing it in the first place.

Regards,
Sebastiaan