That's really strange.  If that's in the generated .java file then I'm
amazed it actually compiles.  It's syntactically incorrect.  Are you sure
it's not just the editor you are using to view the file interpreting an
unknown character?  (I doubt it).

As a first step I'd delete the compiled JSP and have jasper recompile it.

Are you using scriptlets (<%%>) in your JSP?  or just tags like JSTL?  Maybe
you are declaring some strange variable yourself (again.. unlikely).

The only other thing I can suggest is to rename the variable in both the
calling page and the JSP.  There is no reason why this should be any
different, but it's worth a try.