Pid wrote:

David Kerber wrote:

There isn't a standard way of doing programmatical security of this nature - the nature of it is such that you have to write it yourself.

That is essentially what I'm trying to do, using various built-in tools , such as java.security.acl.*, sun.security.acl.AclImpl, sun.security.acl.AclEntryImpl, sun.security.acl.PermissionImpl, etc. I'm just having trouble figuring out how these tools are intended to be used

I wouldn't start there when securing a web application, but other list members might. Sounds like the long route to a solution.

The spec defines role based access control; the majority of your problem can be resolved by configuring a Realm and your app so that restrictions can be applied on a URL by URL basis.

All of this can be done without having to use 'java.security.acl', but with the facilities provided by Tomcat.

I'd recommend looking/trying the realm thing before you proceed.

I'll do that, but one quick question: can the realm thing get user information and authenticate against a database? This app has several hundred potential users and sites to which they will have access in varying combinations.

Programmatical checks at each read/write point, using username based SQL queries if your user can be linked/related to the stock DB, it's a logical problem more than Tomcat problem I think.

I know it's not primarily a Tomcat problem, which is why I initially posted in comp.lang.java.security. However, there are still no responses there after two days.

Thanks for the comments!
Dave