Hi,

the spec says that a 304 response MUST include header

- ETag and/or Content-Location, if the header would have been sent
        in a 200 response to the same request

Does Tomcat send an ETag header in a 200 response when it serves static
content?
If not (and I assume that it doesn't), I read the spec in a sense that
it is o.k. for the 304 response not to include an ETag.

For static content, last modified information usually is sufficient to
decide whether a cache entry is still valid, so what additional should
an ETag header deliver in that case?

Regards,
Matthias