Georg Sauer-Limbach wrote:
the question is: How do you create the output of
the servlet, that is, with which Writer or OutputStream.
yes you're right: I simply used the output stream.

But if you just obtain the output byte stream of the servlet,
ie by calling

  OutputStream outputStream = response.getOutputStream();

and you use this stream to output character data, then the
call to response.setCharacterEncoding() is completely useless.
You're obviously write, I tried using getWriter() and things work as expected. But it is as I said in my last answer to Markus Schönhaber: I do not think it is very obvious, that the response class is writing the characters using the platform's default encoding in this case (the correct encoding is well known!).

Nevertheless I checked the javadoc and it correctly says, that ServletOutputStream is just for binary output (whatever the use of binary data in a website is).

Then it only counts what you do write to this stream yourself.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it really did. Thank you very much.

Heinz