Look up 'SecurityManager'.

Johnny Kewl wrote:
I'm busy having a good look at Tomcats code,
When I find something, I will report it like this, the powers that be, can list
it as a bug, an issue, a nice to have, whatever.
There is no need to report back, I'm not waiting for the changes, I'm making a
modified Tomcat prototype called WildCat, so anyone interested can play with
that.

TOMCAT ISSUE: System.exit(1),

In Catalina ->  public void stopServer(String[] arguments)

        } catch (IOException e) {
            log.error("Catalina.stop: ", e);
            //System.exit(1);  //MODIFIED
        }

And in StandardServer -> public void await()
        } catch (IOException e) {
            log.error("StandardServer.await: create[" + port  + "]: ", e);
            //System.exit(1); //MODIFIED
        }

In an embedded application, these System.exit(1) kill the entire application.
So for example if a user through an embedded application Starts or Stops tomcat
twice, they don't see a trapped or redirected error in the application, because
the application shuts down.
The log.error will appear in the Dos/Terminal err/out stream, but in a Java application, the user will not be looking at that, the application just disappears.

Johnny Kewl eMail: John<No Spam>kewlstuff.co.za -- replace <No Spam> with @ --
  Cell: +027-72- 473-9331
Java Developer (Tomcat Aficionado)
  Free Tomcat software at  http://coolese.100free.com/