I have a JSP that uses several tags implemented as tag files (not classic
custom tag handlers). I want all exceptions to bubble up and be displayed on
the standard apache error page, but some exceptions are being swallowed
silently, depending on where they occur relative to the tag being invoked.

example where I get the error page:

<%
   throw new FooException();
%>
<mytags: tag1 attr1="foo" />

example where the exception just goes to the localhost log:

<mytags: tag1 attr1="foo" />
<%
   throw new FooException();
%>

I looked at the generated source for the JSP, and it looks like
PageContext.handlePageException() might be the culprit. What can I do to
make all exceptions percolate to the top without being swallowed?

Thanks,

Bobby