Hi

I'm running Tomcat 6.0.13 on Sun Java6 and Linux. I upgraded from
Tomcat 5.5.17 and Java5 update 9 a couple of weeks ago.

I experience random crashes of the JVM on a daily basis. It simply
fails with segmentation faults, double frees and similar. Are any of
you experiencing similar problems? I had the same problems with Java5
and Tomcat 5.5, but less often.

If I submit a bug report with Sun I get a reply that I should contact
Apache because the problem seems to be triggered by Tomcat. Is anyone
at Apache interested in those hs_err_PID.log files generated by the
JVM?

So, how would I go about avoiding to trigger these sorts of problems?
It is a production system and I'm not very happy about it being down
almost daily due to bugs in the JVM.

I should add that I run my fairly memory consuming application on a 32
bit server with 4 GB of physical memory and 8 GB of swap space and
with CATALINA_OPTS set as:

CATALINA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -server -Xms512m -Xmx2g
 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC
 -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseTLAB
 -XX:+UsePerfData -XX:NewSize=128m -XX:MaxNewSize=128m
 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=0 -XX:SurvivorRatio=1024 -Xincgc

I tried some even more agressive garbage collector settings a while
back because I was experiencing long pauses while the garbage
collector was running, but I kept triggering loads of segmentation
faults. This is the settings that around a year ago gave the best
balance between crashes and halts from the garbage collector.

But are these settings optimal for Tomcat 6 and Java6?

--
Jacob