Yes, these are the ones I am following. Specifically the Tomcat 6 how-to. The
parts I don't understand are:

1. What the 'tomcat compat package' is. I downloaded MX4J but only copied the
mx4j-tools.jar to /tomcat/lib. But in step 1 it says "Install the tomcat compat
package". I am hoping not to have to install anything, as I don't want to use
MC4J, I just want to use MX4J's Java classes, correct? In other words, I want
to connect to the MBean server myself, programmatically, so I shouldn't have to
install the MC4J app ...

2. This little tidbit is a keeper - "With ${AJP.PORT}=0 no ajp connection where
started." I have no idea what this means. I know that I already have an AJP 1.3
connector set up at port 8009. Anyway, I tried cut-and-pasting the "<Connector
..." section and now my Tomcat doesn't start, no errors. I tried using port 0
... maybe that's the problem.

3. It says to add all the parameters to the CATALINA_OPTS. In other places it
says to add them to JAVA_OPTS. I guess CATALINA_OPTS is correct.

At any rate, when I get all this worked out the idea is to connect to the
Tomcat MBean server, query and change its "Server / Service / Engine / Host /
Context " MBean. The first step is getting Tomcat to start with these options
set though!!

I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the tips.

Bob