Tomcat Experts:

How do I keep my web application responsive for users already half way
through an enrollment process when traffic volume is high?

Here's the scenario: I have a set of 5 web pages that users must work
through to successfully enroll themselves. Assume the server can handle
250 concurrent requests (maxThreads). While traffic volume is under 250,
enrollments complete normally. But once volume exceeds 250 and saturates
the acceptCount/backlog queue, users half way through enrollments cannot
complete their enrollment (connections are refused) because new users
keep bombarding the site.

What would be acceptable is for new users to see a 'site is busy
message' while enrollments in progress are completed. As enrollments
complete and concurrent threads drop below 250, new users are allowed
through.

I have already considered maxActiveSessions but I don't think this will
solve the problem. If maxThreads is reached and the acceptCount/backlog
queue is exhausted, then the users with active sessions and already
partly through enrollment won't be able to get back in to the site to
complete their enrollment - right?

Adding more servers to handle the load is not preferred because most of
the time they will be underutilized. Enrollments that experience high
traffic don't happen that often but when they do, we need to support
them.

Thank you for your time.