Clinton,

I think it might be worth your trouble to find out what number it is that causes the box to "[stagger] to a halt issuing redirects". I started having network saturation on the little switch I was using for my test rig before the load started getting bad on the box. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me.

I think Len was referring to the F5 key on your keyboard (it being the hotkey for the browser to refresh the page).

One thing to keep in mind with a hardware load balancer to make this decision for you is that for it to know if you have an already established session it will need to examine the inbound request, AFAIK. If you're using SSL, you'll need a load-balancer capable of terminating the SSL connection.

I really think it might be worth your while to simply try the filter first.

B.

Parham, Clinton wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input so far.

Brantley: I like the idea but the part about 'staggering to a halt
issuing redirects' is a concern. If this were to happen, then even users
with established sessions would have trouble getting through - right? I
think the same applies to Tracey's suggestion.

Maybe Christopher is on the right track where some sort of load balancer
is the best solution. One that's smart enough to allow established
sessions through and maybe redirect new ones while the server is at peak
load. This would avoid Tomcat from having to deal with traffic it cannot
handle/trying to issue redirects.
Does anyone have any experience/recommendations setting something like
this up? Len hinted at F5 - not sure we can afford that... Len: which F5
and how much??