On 04/07/07, Bill Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Anton Melser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (maybe a repost?)
> Hi all,
> We are running tomcat 5.5.23 on java 1.6.0 (suse 10.0 with addon java6
> rpms for suse 10.1). These machines are load balanced behind an apache
> 2.2.2 with mod_jk jakarta-tomcat-connectors-1.2.15 (both compiled from
> sources). We have a page that is showing the html source instead of
> the page on firefox2. The funny thing is that when the page is
> accessed directly then the content type is text/html (and the page
> shows correctly) but when coming through mod_jk, it is coming as
> IE7...
> Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, the default content-type for httpd is text/plain, so if you have a
controller servlet something like:

   protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
     throws ServletException, IOException {
        req.setAttribute("myBean", myBean);
        RequestDispatcher rd =
getServletContext().getRequestDispatcher("/WEB-INF/jsps/display.jsp");
        rd.include(req, res);
    }

Then the JSP page will not be able to add it's content-type header, so httpd
will add it's default content-type header when the response is sent back.

We have this in our spring controller...

response.setContentType("text/html; charset=UTF-8");
response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
Writer writer= response.getWriter();
if(bText) {
        writer.append("<html><head><meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\"
content=\"text/html; charset=UTF-8\">\n</head>\n<body>\n");
}

writer.append(pageBody);

if(bText) {
        writer.append("\n</body></html>");
}

And the funny thing is that it seems to work... but only for straight
tomcat. I will make a confession - I do mainly .net these days and my
java (particularly web) is lacking in any real depth of understanding.
So I am guessing from your comments that the default content type of
tomcat is text/html? That is what we get with straight tomcat...
In any case, if this code is wrong then can someone give me a
suggestion to make it right?
Thanks again.
Anton