I think what he wants is

browser -> http -> Apache -> http -> tomcat
browser -> https-> Apache -> https-> tomcat

a lot of companies have these requirements

Filip

Arian Abrahantes wrote:
Hi:

I think this has alraedy being discussed somewhere here. Why do you need double enchriptation? It is enough with the apache one. Use something like:

broweser -> https -> Apache -> http -> tomcat

pro:

1- Single enchiptation fast server response.

cons (at least fo security):

1- none

I may be wrong plesa verify in the mailing list archive

Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
question, does it work? or does it always send requests to 8080, for both http and https?

for your SSL, you can/need to add in your httpd client certificate, ie, the certificate to use when contacting Tomcat for SSL

<VirtualHost *:443>
  SSLProxyEngine On
  ProxyPass / https://localhost:8443/
  ProxyPassReverse / https://localhost:8443/
  #
  # Put your Proxy SSL Certificate directives here
  #
</VirtualHost>

Filip

Roger wrote:
Hi there!

I have some questions about how to setup Apache and Tomcat with SSL
support. Currently I have the following setup:

- Windows 2003
- Tomcat 6.0.13
- Apache 2.0.59 with
 - openssl 0.9.7j
 - mod_ssl
 - mod_proxy
 - mod_rewrite (not used)

I have generated keys that work with Apache. So I can open a page like
https://localhost/. I've tried to use mod_proxy to redirect all
traffic to Tomcat, which works for http and https, using the following
setup:

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
   Include conf/ssl.conf
</IfModule>

ProxyPass / http://localhost:8080/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:8080/

<VirtualHost *:443>
   SSLProxyEngine On
   ProxyPass https://localhost:443/ https://localhost:8443/
   ProxyPassReverse https://localhost:443/ https://localhost:8443/
</VirtualHost>

I have the following questions:

1) Is this a normal setup? Anything that could cause a problem?
2) I want to be able to route traffic for one webapp to https, not
allowing it to be used via http. I don't care if this is done using
mod_rewrite or mod_proxy or anything else.

All suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Roger