> From: Joe Nathan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat with 8 GB memory
>
> 8GB means you are using 64 bit machine which will be much
> slower than 32 bit machines.

Neither conclusion is true.  We have 8 GB machines using 32-bit CPUs,
and proper 64-bit systems (those that are not IA64 based) are pretty
much always faster than IA32.

> In Java, if you use lots of memory and create lots of objects,
> your Java applications will have periodic seisures! This is
> because of garbage collection will take significant time, if
> started.

The above is also not true.  The time taken for a garbage collection
(even a full one) is pretty much independent of the size of the heap; it
is very dependent on the number of live objects in the heap, which tends
to be relatively constant for any given application.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.