From: Nathan Hook [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 2:13 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomcat5.0.28 character encodingg problem

Both Chris and Tim are giving great advice.  We're actually just trying
internationalize our application for our next major release.

Here are the things we've learned.

- You have to change the URIEncoding on your Tomcat Connector in your
server.xml (as Tim pointed out).

We are using mod_jk and had to change our entry in the server.xml to the

following:

<Connector port="8009"
           enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3"
URIEncoding="UTF-8" />

- On every request that comes into your tomcat server you have to check
the
character encoding of your request and your response BEFORE any work is
actually done.

So like Chris mentioned you want to look up a character encoding filter.
would recommend placing that as the very first filter that gets called
in
your application.  To do make this filter first in the filter chain is
simple.  When adding your filter to your applications web.xml file, make

sure is the first one listed in the filter mappings section.

Here is the Filter we are currently using for testing.

public class ContentTypeFilter implements Filter {
  public void init(FilterConfig config) {}
  public void destroy() {}
  public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,

FilterChain filterChain) throws IOException, ServletException
  {
     // I've seen some other classes that check to see if the character
encoding is null and then set
     // the character encoding to utf-8.  I'm not sure which is best at
this
time.  My guess is doing
     // the null checks because from my understanding the client can
change
the page encoding on
     // each and every request even though the server sets the page up
to be
utf-8.
     request = (HttpServletRequest)request;
     request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");

     // Make sure to set the character encoding on the response early
because once something is
     // sent back to the client (like a jsp), then the character
encoding is
already set to the default
     // of the server.
     response.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
     // Set the content type in the header of the response.
     response.setContentType("text/html;charset=UTF-8");

     filterChain.doFilter(request, response);
  }
}

- Set the meta type in each and every jsp to be utf-8.  Now, most
browsers
will ignore this value from my understanding, but it shouldn't hurt to
add
it.

<head>
  <title>test title</title>
</head>

- Finally for database storage...  Again from my understanding you will
need
to set all your tables to utf-8 and then inform your JDBC Driver that
you
want to pass everything back and forth using utf-8.

In mysql you add the following to your jdbc url connection string:
useUnicode=true
characterEncoding=UTF-8

I hope all that information helps.