Leon Rosenberg-3 wrote:

> Could you provide some additional information?
> So far 64bit machines always outperformed 32bit machines in my
> personal benchmarks as well as in third party benchmarks I stumbled
> upon.
>
> So it would be great if you could provide some links or explanations.
>
> thank you
> leon

It's for the very simple reason: 64bit machines have 64bit address!
What is address! It's pointers if you are familiar with C, Pointers
are 64bit integers. Pointer arithmetics will deal with 64bit addressed
data. Arithmetic operations on 64bit takes app. twice long as 32bits.
As this is used very many in compiled binaries pointer arithmetics,
you should expect 64bit machines will give you slower performance,
for cpu bound applications. Note that hardware clocking time also
slower than 32 machines.

However, if your application is "data intensive" (with heaps of data
caches),
larger memory can boost quite a lot. You may even get several time
or more better through put than otherwise. That's why there is a push
for 64 bit machine.

Also there is another aspect of programming skills. Many servlet programmers
don't understand underlying garbage collection algorithms. They tend to
make use lot more memory. If you control memory use smartly,
this can boost performance significantly as well!

regards.