On 7/27/07, Joe Nathan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It does in single operation, but it taks twices clock pulse than 32bit!
> You cannot perform binary adder operation in parallel. Speed of operation
> is measured with the number of clock pulse. 32bit adder may require
> something like 36 clock pulses or close numbers. 64bit require about 70
> clock
> pulses. Remember that cpu logic gates work in sync with clocks.
> Limited number of operations can be performed in a second. The
> number will change depending on your cpu clock pulse, which
> is limited to about 3.5GHz these days. That's why we want more Hz
> to get speed. That's the thing that give us the speed!

That is wrong. Integer addition *is* done in parallel by any normal
CPU. Here's a description of one type of logic circuit to do that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_look-ahead_adder
The computer I'm using to type this takes one clock cycle to add a
pair of integers that are in registers, whether they're 64, 32, 16 or
8 bits wide.
Reference: "Software Optimization Guide for AMD Family 10h
Processors", Appendix C
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/40546.pdf
--
Len