On 30/07/2007, at 8:02 AM, Peter Stavrinides wrote:

Apologies Ron this was supposed to be directed at Andrew Miehs!

Peter Stavrinides wrote:
From your comments Ron you obviously didn't understand a thing I wrote, because you have just repeated me!

Dear Peter,

Obviously! :-)

On 29/07/2007, at 2:34 PM, Peter Stavrinides wrote:

This is currently where the true benefit of switching to a 64- bit processor lays, it has nothing to do with the memory address space, which is exactly that, just space for more complex computations

I was mainly referring to this sentence.

It is NOT true to say that it has nothing to do with memory space. Some of our Java processes are running > 12G RAM - this would not be possible with 32bit - at least not with Java. (Yes it could be done with multiple processes and some for of communication between them)

Memory space is ONE of the factors - and to be honest the one that was more important for our application than the 15% speedup.

Regards

Andrew