Hi
A quick google showed that one could possibly use a maven plugin to
automatically deploy war files or ant.

If you have a fairly large infrastructure eg:
6 Apache clusters(two servers configured active/passive) each with about 10
Tomcats.

How would you do the following:
* Quickly deploy a new or updated war file
* Take a tomcat out of the load balancing configuration on the apache to
upgrade/downgrade it and adding it back in.
Currenlty we have a script that sets the lbfactor to 0 and then deploys a
new application.

Currently when deploying a new set of war files we do the following in a
script that runs for all our servers.
rm -rf /home/admin/application-1.1.war
rm -rf /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/application-1.1.war
sleep 20s
/etc/init.d/tomcat5 stop
rm -rf /usr/share/tomcat5/work/Catalina/localhost/application-1.1
rm -rf /usr/share/tomcat5/conf/Catalina/localhost/application-1.1.xml
rm -rf /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/application-1.1
cp /home/admin/application-1.1.war /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps
/etc/init.d/tomcat5 start

The idea of the script is to allow tomcat to undeploy the application and
then delete the files anyway if it did or did not work.

#The file name is the same as the old one to enable the context to stay the
same.
/etc/init.d/tomcat5 start"

I am almost certain there are better ways to do what we are doing and would
appreciate any ideas.

Regards