I have no doubt Tomcat: The Definitive Guide is very good although I would suspect it's targeted to the tomcat servlet container specifically rather than java servlets and jsp. At the point you are at, a book that targets java servlets and jsp is better than a book that target's tomcat. And when looking at books on the subject, look specifically for the servet version they cover. Tomcat 5 and 5.5 are servlet spec 2.4 while Tomcat 6 is servlet spec 2.5. Given Servlet spec 2.4 and 2.5 are from the same JSR-154, you should see only minor differences in the API between the two.

Lastly, I think you should eventually read the servlet specification itself downloadable from http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/details?id=154. As a spec, it's not a bad read and can clear a lot of confusion. I have it printed here in my office and constantly refer to it.

I don't personally have a favorite book as I've been using tomcat since version 3.3 and any recommendation I could give is horribly outdated.

--David

Juergen Nickelsen wrote:

David Smith wrote:

<rant mode="venting">I have to tell you guy, true nightmares exist in answering questions from people who obviously haven't made any attempt at learning the technology before throwing stuff together and asking questions. Please do us a favor and get a recently written book on tomcat.</rant>

What book(s) would you recommend? A fast-paced book that is not just a gentle introduction, but covers a lot of details besides the general principles would probably be best suited for me.

I see there is an O'Reilly book (Tomcat. The Definitive Guide. By Jason Brittain and Ian F. Darwin); most of theirs fit the above description and are quite good, but there are exceptions. How about this one?

Regards, Juergen.