I'm not sure the topic is ready to be nailed shut just yet...

The problem is due to the way Tomcat converts pathnames to URLs when
it uses URLClassLoader. Tomcat calls the method File.toURL and that
fails when there's a "#" in the pathname. But the Javadoc for
File.toURL suggests a workaround: Convert the pathname to a URI first,
then to a URL.

I tried that (in ClassLoaderFactory) and it seem to fix the
classloader problem. Tomcat starts up fine - but it can't compile any
JSPs. So there are other components of Tomcat that have similar
problems.

So, my advice is to see how hard it would be for you to get the #s out
of your pathnames. That may be easier than fixing Tomcat.
--
Len