now that sounds good! the only thing is I don't see how that maps to a DataSource declaration, the <Resource> element in <GlobalNamingResources> doesn't seem to allow the full range of properties that you need to define a database connection, eg - username/password/driverClassName/url etc...

Where would you define these?

David Smith wrote:
In my experience, a resource is usually only relevant to one webapp. There's no need to put it in server.xml as a GlobalNamingResource unless you want that resource available in all your webapps. Moving the resource to the <Context> block of a context.xml file also makes it so resources can come and go with deployment of an individual webapp without restarting tomcat and disrupting all the webapps.

Developers could define their Resources in the <GlobalNamingResources> ... </GlobalNamingResources> block of server.xml and then add a <ResourceLink> element to the context.xml file. That'll get you out of having database specific information in the <Context ..../> element. See this page for further details on that:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/globalresources.html

--David