Hi,

To use log4j the documentation
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
suggest that we need to:

1. Replace $CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar with the
output/extras/tomcat-juli.jar.

2. Place output/extras/tomcat-juli-adapters.jar in $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

What do these file do?  why are they extras and why not have them in the
default build?

In my quick basic tests I did not observe any difference in the logging
behaviors when compared to the original tomcat-juli.jar. Can anyone explain
how or when this would become a problem?

Many Thanks - Fred