> From: Brian Munroe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat not starting properly.
>
> > The CLASSPATH environment variable should never be used when running
> > Tomcat.  (For that matter, it shouldn't be used in any Java
> > environment these days.)
>
> Chuck:  I don't mean to hijack this thread with unrelated topics, but
> can you explain the statement within the parentheses in a little more
> detail?  Thanks!

The biggest problem with CLASSPATH is that it tends to be set and then
forgotten, causing classloading problems during subsequent Java
executions.  The resulting confusion (especially if it involves the
wrong version of a class, rather than just a CNFE) can take ages to
figure out.  It's clearer for everyone involved to specify the exact
path needed on the command line when starting a Java application.
Tomcat is just one example of why CLASSPATH shouldn't be used: we've had
numerous discussions on this list when noobs thought they were "helping"
Tomcat by specifying all sorts of JAR files via the CLASSPATH variable -
all of which resulted in disaster, of course.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.