What does Tomcat do when, in production, a new version of a WAR file that's
currently being accessed is deployed? I've heard generally that you don't
enable the auto-deployment feature in production, but assume you're aiming
for a five-nines environment and the requirement is hot redeployment of the
application.

So here's the scenario: users are accessing a given context continually. An
administrator literally drops into the webapps folder a new WAR file with
the same name as the context above. What happens from a technical
perspective, in terms of synchronization, consistency of existing sessions
that were on the old webapp, and much more?

Before spoiling the surprise for me, can anyone point me to the relevant
classes/methods in the Tomcat source code to take a look at? (Then when I
can't figure it out, I'll come back and ask you to spoil the surprise :) I'd
like to get better at looking through a code base and figuring these things
out, so hopefully someone can guide me in this.

Thanks.