Thank you for your hints to Slide.Actually slide is to heavy and complex for my
purpose and I am still trying to use windows mini redirector with WebDAV
servlet but no success.

Peter Crowther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > From: shahab [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED]
> I am trying to develop a simple distributed file system using
> WebDAV servlet on Tomact application server. while I can
> successfully browse the WebDAV enabled directory via IE or
> FireFox, issuing "net use p: http://lp:port/Dav"; results in
> "The network name can not be found"  error message so drive
> P: can not be created. whereas this net use command can be
> executed successfully in Apache web server.

The WebDAV redirector built into Windows uses a different codebase from
the one built into Internet Explorer.  It also doesn't match the WebDAV
spec in a number of unpleasant ways.  I assume the httpd developers
(assuming this is what you mean by "Apache web server") have managed to
find a workaround which is not in Tomcat's WebDAV servlet.

Have you looked at Jakarta Slide?  It contains a more complete WebDAV
implementation than Tomcat's own servlet, and may get round the problem.
It also includes pluggable storage modules; you may find that much of
your distributed file system work has been done for you.

  - Peter