Thanks to all that responded, that helped me a lot to make sense from it all.

>> On 22/09/2007, at 10:27 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Check the HTTP spec. I am pretty sure (but haven't checked) that the
>>> headers must always be in ISO-8859-1.
Yes, the RFC2616 says:
message-header = field-name ":" [ field-value ]
field-name = token
field-value = *( field-content | LWS )
field-content = <the OCTETs making up the field-value and consisting of
> either *TEXT or combinations of token, separators, and quoted-string>
[...]
Words of *TEXT MAY contain characters from character sets other than
> ISO-8859-1 [22] only  when encoded according to the rules of RFC 2047

I assumed that where ever a Java-String was converted into bytes there would be some place to specify the encoding. Here in sendRedirect the encoding is implicitly ISO-8859-1. I passed sendRedirect a String with characters outside ISO-8859-1 out of curiosity and it gives no error but the 'Location'-header contains something other then String#getBytes("ISO-8859-1") would give. Anyway you should not do that...
> From: "Adrian Sutton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> This is correct, however you can URL encode the URL with UTF-8 to get
>> unicode characters to pass through safely. Most modern user agents
>> handle UTF-8 encoded URLs correctly.

...and always encode the URL before calling sendRedirect.
In case of sendRedirect aka the 'Location'-header I hope that the browsers will just pass the URL unchanged, at least if the encoded URL is in the ASCII-Range?!

Martin Gainty wrote:
good point
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/HTTPCharset/index-011206.html

Thanks again, a very valuable link for my issue. I already had bad feelings about the URIEncoding in the connector, since it was not container independent.

I will try to implement that suggestion. I use Struts2 so I will have to do this somewhere in an interceptor or look for something that is already there for the problem.

I wonder if this only applies to URL-parameters, like the name PARAMETER_ENCODING suggests or also on the path of the URL that may contain the UTF-8 characters in my case.

Best regards,

Alex