Not sure about the interface/protocol being depricated
since there was just a new release of mod_jk 1.2.25?
Also, someone put some effort into improvments into it
2.2.6 of Apache.

I also noticed a 10% performance improvement in
request response times using mod_jk which I was told
about and proven for my web services implementation
using Tomcat.

Finally what to do about load balanceing if Mod_jk
goes away does someone have an answer to that?

Regards,
-Tony

http://www.roktech.net/devblog/enclosures/iis6-Tomcat5-JK2.pdf