Hi list,

I have a fully working mod_jk High-Availability Tomcat environment at
the moment, and I'm looking to start catching web-app failures, as well
as Tomcat server failures.

At the moment, the service looks like this:

Two Alteon hardware load balancers
feeding
Two mod_jk apache servers
feeding
Four Tomcat 5.5 servers

I have at least six applications running on each identical Tomcat
instance, with the incoming connections balanced equally between the
four Tomcat servers.

The config is set up like this.

worker.list=app1,app2,app3,app4,app5

worker.tomcat1.port=8009
worker.tomcat2.port=8009
worker.tomcat3.port=8009
worker.tomcat4.port=8009

worker.app1.type=lb
worker.app1.balance_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2,tomcat3,tomcat4

worker.app2.type=lb
worker.app2.balance_workers=tomcat1,tomcat2,tomcat3,tomcat4

etc.

The applications themselves will return a 500-error if they encounter an
internal failure. I want to be able to detect this, and redirect around
the failing application instance.

I'm aware I can do this for the tomcat server worker, but using the
fail_on_status directive will take an entire server out of the cluster.
Using fail_on_status , there's a possibility that one misbehaving
web-app can destroy the whole environment!

Is there a way I can use mod_jk to redirect around a failed application
only, instead of taking out an entire server? Or am I misinterpreting
something?

I think this is possible if I create an AJP worker for each web-app on
each server - but that config will be ridiculously complex, and I'll
likely have problems with jvmRoute variables, and such.

Any ideas?

thanks

James Masson

addressee only and may be confidential. If they come to you in error you must
take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone. Please
advise the sender by replying to this e-mail immediately and then delete the
original from your computer.

Opinion : Any opinions expressed in this e-mail are entirely those of the
author and unless specifically stated to the contrary, are not necessarily
those of the author’s employer.

Security Warning : Internet e-mail is not necessarily a secure communications
medium and can be subject to data corruption. We advise that you consider this
fact when e-mailing us.

Viruses : We have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and any attachments
are free from known viruses but in keeping with good computing practice, you
should ensure that they are virus free.

Inspired Gaming (UK) Limited
Registered in England No 3565640
Registered Office 3 The Maltings Wetmore Road, Burton On Trent, Staffordshire
DE14 1SE