All,

I downloaded apache-tomcat-6.0.14 .trying to install it on AIX5.3 . I am
not able to locate  any install doc . So I have untarted tar file which
created directories below . I`m guessing that`s how u install it ?
when i try to start it I get java error Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the
JRE_HOME environment variable is defined. it`s in the path .

I`m new to the apache-tomcat , please point to the documentation or give
me some tips .  thanks

-rw-r-----   1 root     system     10731520 Oct 25 09:43
apache-tomcat-6.0.14.tar
drwxr-xr-x   9 root     system         4096 Oct 25 09:43
apache-tomcat-6.0.14

[cemcp62]/usr>cd apache-tomcat-6.0.14

[cemcp62]/usr/apache-tomcat-6.0.14>ls
LICENSE        RELEASE-NOTES  bin            lib            temp work
NOTICE         RUNNING.txt    conf           logs           webapps

[cemcp62]/usr/apache-tomcat-6.0.14>cd bin

[cemcp62]/usr/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin>ls
bootstrap.jar         cpappend.bat          setclasspath.bat startup.sh
  tool-wrapper.bat
catalina-tasks.xml    digest.bat            setclasspath.sh
tomcat-juli.jar       tool-wrapper.sh
catalina.bat          digest.sh             shutdown.bat
tomcat-native.tar.gz  version.bat
catalina.sh           jsvc.tar.gz           shutdown.sh tomcat6.exe
version.sh
commons-daemon.jar    service.bat           startup.bat tomcat6w.exe

[cemcp62]/usr/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin>./startup.sh
Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment variable is defined
At least one of these environment variable is needed to run this program

[cemcp62]/usr/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin>which java
/usr/java14/jre/bin/java
[cemcp62]/usr/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin>