Thanks Rainer and Janning,

I'm afraid my question is still unanswered... but I am particularly interested in what you say here

On 4 Nov 2007, at 12:43, Rainer Jung wrote:
You can though deploy your webapps not on the top level directory, but instead into a sub directory (using a path, that contains more than one URL directory component), e.g. /tomcat/servlet-examples etc. directly on your tomcat, and then JkMount /tomcat/*. That'll be true zero-admin.

I have tried to do this on Tomcat 5.5. i.e. instead of deploying MyApp.war to /usr/share/tomcat/webapps I'm deploying to /usr/share/ tomcat/webapps/subdir. But tomcat is not able to pick up on any of the war files in the subdirectory. Is that what you meant?

To reiterate what I would like to do... I want to be able to set up http://myserver.com/tomcat to point to http://myserver.com:8180 and likewise for SSL. It surprises me that more people do not want a simple, hassle-free setup like this!