You never directly call j_security_check. Here's how the process flow works:

1. browser attempts to load a protected page
2. tomcat saves the request and redirects the client to j_security_check for authentication
3. on successful authentication, tomcat restores the original request.

So basically it "knows" where because it remembers the protected resource requested just before authentication. This process is defined in the servlet spec as pointed out by Chuck Caldarale.

--David

Andrew R Feller wrote:

How does j_security_check know where to redirect users to after they
have logged in?  I have searched for any documentation related to how
j_security_check works but to no avail nor am I able to find out where
in the Tomcat source code j_security_check is declared or invoked.

Thanks,

Andrew R Feller, Analyst

Subversion Administrator

University Information Systems