Thank you Chuck, Matthias; I appreciate the direction.  The reasons why
I ask are:

1. There were no apparent connections between requesting a
container-managed
   resource, logging in via the form-login-page, and receiving the
   originally requested container-managed resource.

2. Little documentation on j_security_check from vendors; just assumes
   people know it is part of the servlet specification.

3. It is unclear what happens in the event when a user requests the
form-
   login-page directly instead of going through a container-managed
   resource.

   How does j_security_check know where to redirect the user once he has

   authenticated successfully?

4. I appreciate understanding exactly what is going on in a system.

Andrew R Feller, Analyst
Subversion Administrator
University Information Systems
Louisiana State University