From my understanding the site server should do the request and pass the
response back to the client.

That's not the way I understand the reverse proxy... the request *is handled by the backend server, the front end server is used to route the request. Some folks use mod_rewrite with mod_proxy to integrate the namespace so the backend server appears transparent, but what is really happening is that the URL's are rewritten on the fly.

Peter

Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
I know this may not be the correct mailing list but maybe
I can find an expert here - I didn't get an answer yet
in any apache forum I knew of:

I have an apache2 and a Tomcat running (in Tomcat I have OpenCMS
running as a content management system)

Furthermore I have an application server in my intranet which can be accessed
by a firewall rule also from my webserver through the internet.

I'm trying to put some statements in my sites Virtual host section
to map request going to

http://www.mycompany.com/forum to http://forum.mycompany.com/

doing it by

ProxyPass   /forum/ http://forum.mycompany.com/
ProxyPassReverse /forum/ http://forum.mycompany.com

I have barred the server http://forum.mycompany.com to the Internet
and only a request coming directly from www.mycompany.com is being let through.

What happens is that when I access the site from the outside (INternet)
and enter http://www.mycompany.com/forum/ in the browser
I'm seeing that the client (browser, lower left corner in Firefox)
tries to connect directly to forum.mycompany.com which it shouldn't.

 From my understanding the site server should do the request and pass the
response back to the client.

Please help.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org