Thanks for the replies.

I managed it finally with ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse

What has caused all the headache was the fact that
the backend server (application server that ran the forum)
had a html meta refresh tag in it's /index.html
and that did not get translated by the proxypass directives.
I don't know whether this is normal behaviour or a bug.

The request always came back with the refresh address of the backend
server which could not be resolved or accessd by the client.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_kukulies.org