I'm beginning to see the light ;-) - I don't know how I overlooked the admin app
specific location. Thanks!

David Smith wrote:
> Actually classes in common/lib or common/classes are visible to all
> webapps and tomcat internals.
>
> From your original post, the only
> org.apache.commons.collections.SequenceHashMap you had was in the admin
> webapp and that's not visible to tomcat internals or any other webapp.
> All the other SequenceHashMaps you had listed were in other packages and
> didn't match the full package and class name the error referred to.  In
> that sense, there are no conflicting versions.
>
> Now given you have commons-collections in the admin app, you probably
> can't put that in common/lib as it'll cause problems with the admin
> webapp ... if you use it.  If you don't use the admin webapp at all (and
> I most certainly don't -- it's not well coded and hasn't been properly
> maintained in a long tome), go ahead and drop the package for the admin
> webapp and that'll free you to put commons-collections-[version].jar on
> common/lib.
> I personally recommend you keep as many of the libraries your webapp
> needs as possible in it's own WEB-INF/lib directory.  It makes for a
> larger .war file, but fewer headaches down the road.  If you use
> tomcat's database pooling, the database driver has to be in common/lib
> to be visible to both your webapp and tomcat's internal code.  That's
> pretty much the only caveat.
>
> --David
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I agree that you should place the classes in your webapp
>> WEB-INF..Common/lib
>> is for internal use and wouldnt be expected to demand load the classes
>> you
>> require as is the case for the webapp WEB-INF
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>>
>> Anyone?
>> M--

Thomas Robinson -

   Infrastructure, Integration, Support, Development and Training
   Linux, Oracle, Windows, Networking

   Daedalus Compass Ltd                   Mobile: +44 (0)7879 428 968
   132 Clifden Court, Clifden Road          Work: +44 (0)20 8891 6262
   Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1 4LR            Fax: +44 (0)20 8891 6363
   United Kingdom                        GPG Key: 8A4CB7A7

   CONFIDENTIALITY: Copyright (C). This message with any appended or
   attached material is intended for addressees only and may not be
   copied or forwarded to or used by other parties without permission.