Based on what I've read, I've learned that the least ideal approach is to
place the context information in server.xml.

What I don't know, though, is how the remaining options stack up to each
other. What are the tradeoffs (apart from the path naming issue) of placing
context.xml in META-INF versus as conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml? For
what reasons is one approach better than the other?

I don't have as much experience deploying to Tomcat as some of you might, so
I'm hoping you could outline the advantages and disadvantages of either
approach.