> From: lightbulb432 [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Specify context path when context.xml is in META-INF
>
> Based on what I've read, I've learned that the least ideal
> approach is to place the context information in server.xml.

Correct; doing so requires a Tomcat restart to change anything, and goes
against the servlet spec premise of webapps being self-contained.

> What are the tradeoffs (apart from the path naming issue)
> of placing context.xml in META-INF versus as
> conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml?

If the webapp requires no customization for each deployment, then
keeping the <Context> element in META-INF/context.xml has the distinct
advantage of having only one entity (the .war file) to deal with.
However, if customization is required, then distributing the <Context>
element separately for placement in conf/Catalina/[host]/[appname].xml
makes it easier on the sysadmin.  The latter approach avoids having to
take the .war file apart manually, update the <Context>, and put it back
together.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.