On 10 Dec 2007 at 16:02, David kerber wrote:

> I'm running this app in a tomcat 5.5.x container,I am trying to
> figure
> out which form of a list is the best for what I need to do here:
>
> I need to have some kind of list or collection that I can search
> quickly
> for a specific entry, and then start stepping through the list item
> by
> item from that point.  The items in the list are all of the same
> user-defined class (not primitives or  pre-defined java classes).
>
> My current implementation just uses an iterator starting at the
> beginning, and just walking through until I find the item I want,
> and
> continuing to walk from there, but I'm running into performance
> issues
> with this.
>
> The individual lists aren't particularly big:  single-digits to at
> most
> a couple hundred items, but I do this processing in a big outer loop
> which will need to scale up to a few thousand iterations of
> different
> instances of these lists.  What these actually are is individual
> stores'
> inventory data, with each list being a list of their inventory data
> for
> a month or so, and I will eventually need to iterate over a couple
> thousand stores for reporting.

Where is this data coming from?

I would personally use a combo of LinkedList

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/LinkedList.html

where each node would have something like an id of the store and use that id to
retrieve the
data from a database.

Keeping less data in each node should make searching the list fast.

Another idea would be to use hashtable of linked lists but it all depends on
what you're
searching.

-Steve O.