I have, after hours of trial and error, managed to persuade Tomcat to
use my custom error page in a Java Server Faces application. Now that I have solved the problem I would like to know where I could have looked to find the answer.

In case someone finds this page via a web search I should provide the
answer here. I had to add the following lines to %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\MyApp\WEB-INF\web.xml

<error-page>
<error-code>404</error-code>
<location>/faces/pagenotfound.jsp</location>
</error-page>

The initial "/" was required in the location despite the fact that the NetBeans Visual Web Pack generated <welcome-file> tag did not have a leading "/". Would I have solved this problem more quickly if I was not using NetBeans as a "rapid application development" tool?
--
David