Thanks David,
yes we experimented with JKumount in apache config, and it works fine.
the issue was we had a lot of paths to be set, but were able to get away
with the * character.
may be the issue of sending all that static page traffic over the AJP13
(mod_jk) AKA load-balancer was the imminent small packet size of the
protocol. also although we suspected the thread limitation was a issue, we
did not come across seeing a large number of threads opening at the same
time. does this make sense ?
ajp is meant to server small java scripts and jsp pages ?

thanks all for your help.
regards
mohan