Hello,

I am trying to install tomcat6 on Solaris 8. I
downloaded apache-tomcat-6.0.14-src.tar and untarred
the archive to /usr/local/tomcat6/

I also changed the ownership to a normal user and
modified the files under bin/ to executables.

If I ran ./startup.sh:

Neither the JAVA_HOME nor the JRE_HOME environment
variable is defined
At least one of these environment variable is needed
to run this program

I defined these variables. The next error is:

bash-2.03# ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/tomcat6/
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/tomcat6/
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/tomcat6/
Using JRE_HOME:
/usr/local/java/j2sdk1.4.2_08/jre/
touch: /usr/local/tomcat6/logs/catalina.out cannot
create
./catalina.sh: /usr/local/tomcat6/logs/catalina.out:
cannot create

So I created manually logs folder. The next error is
displayed under logs/catalina.out:

bash$ more catalina.out
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/s
tartup/Bootstrap

could you please advise?

thanks