> From: Melanie Pfefer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 1- how to change the http port number?

Look at the various Connector elements in conf/server.xml

> 2- how to allow a non-root user to start tomcat? Is it
> only though file ownership modification (chown -R
> /usr/local/tomcat6)?

Make sure you're not using a port under 1024 on UNIX, or Tomcat will have to
bind that port as root anyway.

Otherwise, you just need to make sure the non-root user has access to the
appropriate Java and Tomcat files, yes.  I routinely run Tomcat as a non-root
user on various Linux systems, just by extracting a copy in my user directory
and making sure I don't use any privileged ports.

                - Peter