Usually in the past web based deployment/undeployment has been through the
manager app and not the admin app. The work directory is only for the
compilation of the JSP. Can you deploy using ANT? Please reply with more info
and maybe you will get a better response:

OS: type/version
JDK: version
Install dir: (path) c:\Apache Tomcat\whatever or /usr/local/Apache...
JAVA_HOME: path
CATALINA_HOME: path
CLASSPATH: path
ANT_HOME: path