Delian Krustev wrote:
appBase == docBase is unsupported. Period. The servlet spec allows (might
even be requires I don't recall off-hand) any directory to treated as a
webapp so as soon as you have an WAR exploded into the appBase you end up
with multiple contexts which will cause problems.

I don't see a conflict here.
Using appBase==docBase with expanded apps causes unexpected context mappings. If you want to test it, set appBase==docBase, put an expanded ROOT webapp in the appBase and then look in the manager app to see how many contexts you have. There will be one for each directory in the appBase.

Have you looked at the configuration I've posted ?
Yes.

        workDir="work/Catalina/USER/DOMAIN"

Wars are expanded in the work dir, which is not anywhere under the appBase
With your config, WARs shouldn't be expanded anywhere. I assume you mean JSPs are compiled in the work dir since you don't appear to be using any of the anti-locking features that would otherwise cause things to be expanded in the work dir.

appBase in my case is completely irrelevant. I could point it to anywhere and it won't make any difference.
With your specific configuration you might be OK but appBase==docBase is something that usually always cause pain. My main concern is making sure that people reading this thread in the archives don't go away thinking that appBase==docBase is ever a good idea.

BTW, Mark. Still haven't received a reply from you on the Juli CVE issue. Have you received my message, stating the fix is not sufficient ?
I replied a few hours after you sent the message asking you for more info. Looks like it didn't get through. I'll re-send it.

Mark