> I'm trying to restrict http access to a given folder.  All the
> documentation
> points to appending the /conf/server.xml entry with the following text:
>
>  <Context path="/restricted" ...>
>     <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
>     allow="192.168.*.*" />
>   </Context>

That is restricting access to a context name restricted, it's not the
same a resrticting access to a folder of a specific webapp.
Also, the allow is a coma separated list of regular expression. You
should probably use this for your allow:
allow="192\.168\..*"

***Thanks for this advice.  I didn't realise about the need for backslash.
Given that I shouldn't be using a context path to define the folder, what
should I be doing?
Ray